The Climate Change Act 2008 creates a new approach to managing and responding to climate change in the UK by:
- setting ambitious, legally binding targets
- taking powers to help meet those targets
- strengthening the institutional framework
- enhancing the UK's ability to adapt to the impact of climate change
- establishing clear and regular accountability to the UK Parliament and to the devolved legislatures
A copy of the Climate Change Act 2008 (as enacted) is provided for information and can be downloaded from the document downloads area of this page. Further information on the 2008 Act and amendment(s) to it are provided on the National Archives website, a link is provided under the useful website area on this page.